A glass of wine that stands out for its vivacious, fine perlage and brilliant, yellow colour. Lampo, a young, fresh sparkling wine with an elegant taste and well-orchestrated aromas. The ideal aperitif and toast for all special occasions!
Spicy Tuna Avocado Cucumber Appetizer with Pickled Ginger
This recipe calls for 1½ pounds of ahi tuna because the tuna will need to be trimmed to get the square shaped pieces needed for the appetizer. The excess tuna is perfect for making tuna tartare.
Serves: approximately 60 pieces
2 English cucumbers
2 avocados, halved and quartered, cut into ¼" thick slices (I got about 40 pieces from one avocado)
fresh lemon juice
Seared Furikake Coated Tuna:
1½ pounds fresh ahi tuna, cut 1" inch thick
½ cup furikaki
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Wasabi Soy Sauce:
1 teaspoon wasabi powder
2 teaspoons gluten-free soy sauce
¼ cup organic mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
toasted sesame seeds
shichimi togarashi (a Japanese spice powder), optional
finely minced fresh chives
Seared Furikake Coated Tuna
- Cut tuna into long, even pieces, about 1 inch in width and height (you want a square surface area). Save irregular pieces of tuna for tuna tartare or other use. Place furikake, salt and pepper in a pie dish and mix together. Coat all sides of tuna in furikake mixture. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat until hot. Place tuna pieces in pan and cook 30 seconds on each side until just brown. You want the tuna to remain raw inside. Remove from pan and let cool. You can refrigerate the tuna at this point until serving time (tuna should be used the same day as you purchase it). When ready to use, slice into ¼" slices (I got about 60 pieces from 1 pound of tuna)
Preparation of Ingredients
- Score cucumbers lengthwise with a fork. Slice into ¼" rounds (you can slice these ahead of time and lay them on a paper towel; cover and refrigerate.
- Sprinkle avocado slices with a little fresh lemon juice and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together wasabi powder and soy sauce.
- In another small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and sriracha sauce
Assembling the Appetizers
- Lay cucumber rounds on a serving platter. Place a slice of avocado on each cucumber round. Top with a slice of tuna. Drizzle a tiny amount of the wasabi soy sauce on top. Top with a small dollop of sriracha mayonnaise. Place a small piece of pickled ginger on top.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds, shichimi togarashi and minced chives on top of appetizers and over platter.
Check out this trick on how to make your cucumber slices look even prettier! Simply run a fork down the length of the cucumber, and do this all around the cucumber. Then, slice and voila, you’ve got pretty cucumber slices!